I've a brief paragraph describing squad composition for Stalingrad. I'm going to use counters.
Russian SMG squad for Stalingrad: 7 soldiers with PPsh with 71 round drum magazine and 1 sargent with PPsh with the curved 35 round magazine.
This is a good start for playtesting, especially for those who may not want to buy 1/48 scale minis.
I decided to make some terrain for Stalingrad. I desired to keep it simple and fun. I started with:
drywall compaond, drywall knife (I didn't use it!), glue stick, assorted tools (craft knife w/#11 blade, sculpting tool & wire cutters), plastic straws, craft wire from the $ store, some pieces of plastic that remind me of metal structural beams that came from a friend's bits box & unsolicited newspaper.
Using my Mark I fingers I roughed-out two shapes I liked from a couple of pieces of styrofoam, I stuck a bunch of pieces of wire in the styrofoam in places that I thought it looked plausible, oh, I used the wire cutters to cut a few wires into 6cm(?) lengths, I used the sculpting tool to gouge damage into flat surfaces, I used a popsickle stick (Not pictured!) to apply drywall compound in various horizontal places, I plopped some pices of plastic on or into the drywall compound, I cut up a straw into a couple of lengths, I plopped 1 piece into some drywall compound and using the glue stick I stuck another in a corner (You can't see it in this picture!).
A closer look.
Yep. That is quite a bit of work.
When the terrain pieces were dry I decided to apply a couple of different grits of sand using white glue (From the $ store!) I used to gather, dry and sift river sand into 3 differnt grit types but when I finally used it up I was feeling lazy so I bought a bag of sand from a hardware store and sifted it etc. The 2 types pictured here are medium and fine w/bits of crushed sandstone & slate; I gather the bits of stone & crush 'em up with a hammer while wearing eye protection.
Woah, messy but fun! Hey, it's a good thing that've that unsolicited newspaper?! So, I used a popsickle stick (Now pictured!) to spread some glue about a few horizontal spots and then sprinkled the various grits of sand & crushed up rock atop the glue. I tamped the sand down using Mark I fingers.
When the white $ store glue on the styrofoam dried I shook off the sand and gathered it up and put it in it's respective receptacles... as best I could... Anyway, I'm set up to do a super fun part of the project; mix the tap water in the random glass jar, $ store black paint & medium grit hardware store sand together in a random plastic container and paint it on the terrain using a $ store brush!
There it is: terrain painted with a slurry of water, black paint & sand. I used the popsickle stick to vigorously mix up the slurry.
It took two thin coats to, more-or-less, cover the terrain pieces... there were, naturally, a couple of spots that I missed and I was feeling lazy so I unleashed my venerable VL Paasche airbrush upon said spots. I heartily endorse using the most wicked airbrush supplies as you can as it makes EVERYTHING easier... Of course, if you don't own a crochety old airbrush to do touch-ups you could just use the slury and a brush. Yeah, actually, I friggin' love my aged airbrush! I've had it long enough that I've broken or wore-out and replaced parts. I do have a modern iwata neo but, meh, it's cool but it's waaay to fiddly to completely disassembled to properly clean and, indeed, the instructions warn you not too?! What?! No, just no!
so cool thanks for sharing Steve. Will you be doing highlights and other details?
@marco Yeah, man! I just haven't progressed any further, yet!
I decided to use my venerable airbrush to paint the terrain. I could easily have used the previously pictured $ store brush and busted-out my tub of $ store paint (Not pictured!) and dry brushed the terrain, nevertheless, I decided to use my airbrush just for fun. I've picked-out 3 shades of grey and 3 shades of brown to use and, thus far, I've added 1 shade of grey and 1 shade of brown to the terrain. And, now I'll let the terrain dry.
I've done the second shades of grey and brown.
I've now completed the third grey and brown shades. As-per-usual, I'm not entirely satisfied...
BUT, I'm not going to do more this evening...
I decided that the terrain was a wee bit too bright in spots so I added a black wash to one of the pieces of terrain.
The black wash worked fine but then I decided to just darken both pieces of terrain using my venerable airbrush. I just used a dark shade of grey. Fun was had!
I decided to seal the terrain pieces with matte varnish. The shine is temporary! They'll dry...
The cardstock that I can run through my printer isn't thick enough for my liking, so, I mounted the counters on cracker box cardboard from my recycling bin. Oh, and I added a Russian Rifle Squad:
8 soldiers with Mosin Nagant Model 1891 Rifle, 1 soldier with DP-28 Light Machine Gun, and
1 sargent with PPsh with the curved 35 round magazine.
I've began cutting out the counters, again!
A Russian Rifle Squad and a Russian SMG Squad, plus, a start on another piece of terrain.
Russian Rifle Squad, Russian SMG Squad, and terrain. The terrain isn't finished...
I've got to rust the metal debris...
I really like the standees. I am not sure whether I will go with pogs or standees.
@marco Standees for sure!
@Astro Knight It will likely start with pogs and then expand into standees however I would encourage anyone with minis to use those. Likely the zombies will stay as pogs. We will need a lot of them.